SCPC Visits Yantaishan Hospital in Yantai, China
This information was contributed by Deb Koeppen, BSN RN, the Director of Business Development at the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
I am met in the early morning by hospital administration from Yantaishan Hospital that came to the hotel where I was staying to share a quick breakfast before leaving for their facility. Two of the individuals are known to me from their visit to the U.S. where they attended an accreditation workshop. Noting that I wear only a leather jacket to venture outside, the VP takes off her coat and insists that I borrow this from her. She is very insistent and so I comply. Following breakfast we step outside into the frigid morning air and into a van. I believe the warmth of the VPs kind gesture provided more than that of the coat. To the left, I see the sun rising over the Yellow Sea. Arriving after dark last evening, I was unaware that Yantai was a port city and situated on the tip of a Peninsula. In 2004, it was recognized as the most charming city in all of China. Looking out over the water, mountains dressed in a morning mist, I could certainly see why.
Much smaller in comparison to Shanghai, Yantai would still be considered a large city by U.S. standards. We drive a short distance through narrow cobblestone streets to reach the hospital which also boasts a beautiful view of the Sea. As we approach, it is obvious the facility was built years ago. We enter through a side door in an alleyway and are quickly taken up 4 flights of narrow and winding steps to reach a room, well let and filled with photographs and other memorabilia celebrating the hospitals rich history. Built by the French in the mid 1800’s, it appeared from my first impression, that little had changed, at least in this building. Stained glass windows and curved, low doorways added a character seldom seen in contemporary hospitals found in the states.
Our “tour guide” introduces herself as a physician and walks us through Yantaishan hospitals rich history. Her pride is remarkable as we progress through each station. Notable and “famous” pictures of surgeons, old photographs of the hospitals participation in treating the survivors of a famous disaster at sea decades ago and even the current president’s participation in the Beijing Olympics are on display.
After the tour, our guide excuses herself, apologizing that she must leave as there is an emergency surgery and as the surgeon, she plays an important role. Said with all seriousness, I couldn’t help but smile.
Climbing back down the narrow staircase proved a bit more challenging than the trip up but achieved with only a slight stumble about midway. We are then let into an auditorium filled with over 100 physicians and nurses. My picture hangs on a poster along with details provided prior to my arrival about the Society and my current position. I am seated on stage with hospital administration and given a hearty welcome complete with applause and thanks for my visit. The day’s agenda sits before me and it is very full. Following my lecture will be tours and Q&A sessions. Everyone is eager to use every minute I am there to help them improve their ACS processes……They wish to become an accredited CPC next spring. What I will discover later is that they are well on their way.
Recent Articles & News:
- July 15, 2015: Obs Services, Workshops, Savings and Certification Program.
- March 25, 2015: Obs Services, Free 1/2 Day Accreditation Planning Workshop and more important 18th Congress information.
- February 27, 2015: 18th Congress - The premier educational forum for cardiovascular healthcare providers.
- January 22, 2015: Congress Brainstorming Sessions, C4 Bootcamp, Congress Registration Information
- December 2014: EHAC Reaches 300,000+, Nominate Your 2014 EHAC Person of the Year, New Dr. Bahr Articles & More!
- November 21, 2014: All about the 18th Congress
- October 23, 2014: Workshop Week, 18th Congress, HF Job Opening, New EHAC Video
- September 23, 2014: Improving HF Webinar, Workshop Week, WH Day, EHAC Updates and More SCPC Updates
- August 15, 2014: Unlock Innovation in Your Hospital
- July 16, 2014: SCPC Update
- June 12, 2014: SCPC Update
- Congress Update: Early Bird Registration Fees Extended to March 31
- February 17, 2014: Sneak a Peek at CPC v5.0, Service Line Analytics, Congress Keynote Announced
- February 3, 2014: HF Article, the "Next" D2B, Executive Summit and News Congress Info
- January 22, 2014: Heart Month Materials, C4 Credits, Executive Summit
- January 6, 2014: Deadline Extensions, New Workshops, New EHAC Materials
- December 9, 2013: Brainstorming at Congress, Last Cycle IV Workshops, Congress Agenda and More!
- 2013 EHAC Person of the Year
- November 12, 2013: 10 Years of Greatness, Executive Summit, First HF Dashboard Webinar, Science of Peace Lecture and More!
- October 21, 2013: Free Observation Medicine Webinar, New HF Line Specialist, Accreditation ROI and More!
- October 3, 2013: Free Health Care Reform Webinar, New Events, EHAC & More!
- September 25, 2013: 100,000 for EHAC, Mission: Lifeline Updates, Cycle IV Info and More!
- September 3, 2013: D2B 7 Minutes, Free Workshops, A-fib Awareness & More!
- August 14, 2013: Congrats to the C4 Graduates, New A-fib Information & More!
- July 23, 2013: New FIB Metrics, Analytics in HF v2.0, C-4 Bootcamps & More
- July 8, 2013 SCPC Update: New Resources Section, Events, Accreditation Assistance...
- June 19, 2013 SCPC Update: Win a Free Workshop Spot, HF v2.0 Update & thanks to our EHAC Hospitals!
- June 5, 2013 SCPC News: Updated Workshop Calendar & Webinars
- May 8, 2013 SCPC News: Updated Workshop Calendar & New EHAC Training Materials
- April 22 2013 SCPC Update
- April 8 2013 SCPC Update
- March 25 2013 SCPC Update
- Heart Failure v2.0 Launches!
- SCPC Hospital Success: Even Traffic Jams Can't Slow Jackson Team 16 minute Door-to-Balloon!
- SCPC Hospital Success: Brothers "Bump Into" Each Other at Houston Northwest Medical
- February 20, 2013 SCPC Update
- February 11, 2013 SCPC Update
- Dr. Ray Bahr: February is Heart Month
- Dr. Bahr: How to Foil Death by Heart Attack
- A-fib Education Short-Course at the 16th Congress
- Expanding the SCPC Tools for A-fib
- Partnering with the "Enemy" - An inspirational story
- September is Atrial Fibrillation Awareness Month
- Good morning, this is your follow-up call
- Dr. Bahr: The Power of An Idea